Last week we had a quick assignment of "Manipulated Color." The examples of other photographers shown conveyed a sense of exaggerated or false color through the means of using gels, flashlights, or other creative ways. I headed out to where I spend a few years of my life in high school, as I remembered it had a lot of interesting colors and subjects around town. Here is Bryn Mawr, PA in its manipulated colors..
It's currently week 5 of my spring term as a sophomore at Drexel University. If you're just tuning into my posts now, this specific class deals with color photography and how to photograph using color. This next assignment entails photographing during the sunset, which produces a golden "glow" or cast to your photos. There was a couple of ways to approach this assignment, as some of my peers did things indoors, using people as subjects, etc.
I went with landscapes as my focus, picked an area, and studied it for about a week and a half through two trips as I took photos. I used a Hasselblad (pictured to the left) and 120 6x6 color film. After processing, I scanned them and we were taught how to color correct the images in Photoshop using curves.
Below are the final six photos I presented to the class for our critique.
My next term has begun and so far so good. This class revolves around the education of color photography and making good use of color. I'll include a class description in one of my next posts.
This first assignment involved picking a color and trying to convey it as the "accent" color of the image. Thats a poor explanation on my behalf, but I think it delivers the message, and will make more sense once you see the photos. I started out using blue as my color, but I did not totally understand the assignment and ended up reshooting with red. I will include some photos from my first go, and then the final 24 shots I chose to hand in. I should also mention somewhere that three photos in the first batch of photos were not used in the 24 handed in shots.
And the 24 shots I chose were...
I am well over due for an update to my blog. For our final projects, we were given almost complete freedom.
My digital class required at least three edits in Photoshop and my studio class required portraits. The portrait assignment was by far my most favorite. I chose to use dogs instead of people. A huge thanks to my friends Sarina and John for bringing their beautiful dogs to the studio.
I will start out with the digital class final. I had a lot on my mind as I tried to find what I should do. What I ended up doing was certainly not my first idea I wanted to do, but it was something I could manage to get "finished" within the time block I had. This was definitely a first run at this and I learned a lot of things for when I revisit the idea. I wanted to create an effect of the color dripping out of the fruits/vegetables. Using acrylic paint did not produce the droopiness I was looking to achieve, so thats one thing I will definitely be changing next time. I also don't think I will re-approach this with the same idea, but more so an altered idea.
Next were my dog portraits, my favorite out of this whole term. It was a complicated process that required a lot of trial and error, as well as a bunch of adjustments and patience. I took inspiration from Jill Greenberg's work with babies and various animals. At the bottom is an example of the lighting madness that took place.
I have not made an update lately, but over the past few weeks a lot has been covered. Amongst that, we learned to manually stitch panoramas together and a bunch of other in-depth features involving Photoshop. I stitched together a panorama I had taken in Florida and the assignment called for adding at least one object into the photo and making it look realistic (adding a shadow, adjust lighting, etc). I searched through my old photos and used my photo of four P-51 Mustangs flying, a sailboat in Key West, and a bird from the bird exhibit in Key West.
In addition to that project, we needed to then create some photoshopped photo that represented another world. It could have been turning a city into rubble, or making someone into a zombie. For my project, I chose to use a portrait I had recently taken and turn the girl into a cyborg.
I also experimented with using my panorama of Philadelphia and making it appear as a new "colorful" world. The mountains in the photo are not my pictures, they were used for the sole purpose of educating myself and experimenting.
Midterms are here and finals will be 2-3 weeks around the corner. This is when the learning and the work begins to pick up extremely fast in all my classes.
This week, we learned how to use strobe lights, and were instructed to start making our subject choices more complex. Click on the images below to view them as a bigger photo.
In this assignment, we were instructed to bring in objects that were reflective, transparent, and opaque. We used a single hot light and moved it around the setup 360 degrees to learn the effects that different positions of light have on different kinds of object surfaces. The last image is a blending of two photos using photoshop, done outside of the class.
Shooting Assignment #2: Theme color. Set up or find situations where one main color is featured. For instance, a blue wall with a lighter blue object in front. There can be other colors in the composition, but it should be clear what the theme color is. We will be making 4 final prints, so shoot a number of scenarios.